Loni Sponge Dosa | Set Dosa Recipe is a popular South Indian dish.It’s a variation of the traditional dosa,a fermented rice and lentil crepe that is a staple in South Indian cuisine.The term “loni” in loni sponge dosa refers to the use of butter or ghee (clarified butter) in making the dosa,which gives it a soft and spongy texture.
About Loni Sponge Dosa | Set Dosa
This dosa’s are made of urad dal,rice,fenugreek seeds,sabudana(sago),poha(flattened rice) and curd.The proper fermentation of the batter for set dosa is very essential because if fermentation is not done proper they won’t yield porous,soft and spongy dosa.The fermentation of the batter depands on the climatic condition of that particular region.
It is called set dosa as it is served in a set of three.These dosa’s are served with coconut chutney,sambhar.These dosa’s are small in size,thick,soft and spongy.It is a staple food of India and is widely prepared as morning breakfast.
Then why wait lets quick start with the recipe.And please don’t forget to comment about the recipe….
Also for more such SouthIndian Recipes just click on the below mentioned recipes;
- Idli Recipe
- Instant Sambhar
- Tiffin Sambhar
- Medu Wada Sambhar
- Batata Vada Sambhar
- Moong Dal Dosa
- Rava Uttapam
- Curd Rice
If you have made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram,Facebook,Youtube,Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on Youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
Watch On Youtube
Loni Sponge Dosa | Set Dosa Recipe
course : breakfast,brunch
cuisine : south indian
soak : 6-7 hours
fermentation : 8-10 hours
cook : 10-15 minutes
servings : 4-5
- 2 cups Rice (तांदूळ)
- ¼ cup Split white urad dal(उडीद डाळ)
- 1 cup Flattened rice or Poha(पोहे)
- ¼ cup Sago or sabudana (साबुदाणा)
- ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds or methi dana(मेथी दाने)
- ½ cup Curd(दही)
- ¼ – ½ tsp Baking soda(खायचा सोडा)
- ¼ tsp Sugar(साखर)
- Butter as required(लोणी)
- Salt to taste.
Step by step method of preparing Loni Sponge Dosa | Set Dosa Recipe
- First take rice and wash it with 2-3 waters and soak in a bowl.
- Now in another bowl add the white urad dal,poha(flattened rice),sabudana and wash them and soak them all together in enough water.
- Next soak the methi seeds in a small bowl separately and keep aside.
- Now soak all above ingredients for about 6-7 hours.
- Once nicely soaked drain the excess water and reserve that strained water for grinding.
Making of set dosa batter
- After nicely soaked grind the rice first to a very fine paste.
- Remove the rice paste in a big bowl.
- Next finely grind the urad dal,poha and sabudana to a fine paste.
- The grinded batter should be thick enough because as it ferments it gets thinner.
- Mix this with the rice paste.
- To these add the curd or dahi and give a nice mix.
- Mix the batter.
- Next keep this batter for fermentation in a warm place for 8-10 hours or nicely fermented.
- Once the batter gets nicely fermented add salt and sugar to it.
- Mix it nicely.
- The batter of set dosa is ready.
Cooking of set dosa
- Keep the iron tava or non stick tava on gas for heating.
- Once it gets heated up grease the tava with regular cooking oil or butter properly.
- The tava should be medium hot when you pour the batter.
- Now pour the dosa batter on to it.
- Don’t spread the batter as we do it for regular dosa.
- The set dosa is small in size and is thicker.
- Once the batter is poured you will see nice pores appearing on the dosa.
- Add butter across the edges and on the top of the dosa.
- Cover and cook until it gets nicely cooked.
- When the base of the dosa turns a bit golden and crisp at the base,just flip it to other side.
- Let the other side also turns golden brown and crisp.
- Now your soft,spongy loni sponge dosa or set dosa is all ready.
- Serve this Loni Sponge Dosa | Set Dosa in a set of three with sambhar,coconut chutney or potato chutney.