Dahi Wada Recipe | Dahi Bhalla is a popular Indian dumpling made of lentils soaked in thick curd and flavoured with spices.It is popular by different names like Dahi Bhalla in North India,Dahi Bada in Rajashthan and Dahi Wade in Maharashtra.It is also popular south Indian dish.
Widely prepared during festive seasons,or in marraiges as a side dish or for any occassions.It is also a popular street food.
I often prepare it…for all the member’s in my family are of great fond of these dahi wada’s.A very easy recipe to make and also tastes fab.I always have it as a side dish in many festive dishes.
The combination of curd/dahi and wada’s is very fantastic.Also I hav used moong dal with urad dal in this recipe.Use of moong dal is totally optional.I find that by using moong dal the wada’s become more light and also it doesn’t affects the taste at all.
Popular snacks and street foods found are ;
Celebrate this festive season with this delicious preparation of Dahi Wada / Dahi Bhalla and share your feedback with us in the comment section below.
If you have made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on Youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
Watch the Recipe On Youtube
Dahi Wada Recipe | Dahi Bhalla
course : snacks,side dish
cuisine : indian
prep : 8 hours
cook : 45 minutes
total : 8 hours+45 minutes
servings : 4-5
author : suchita pradeep
For Making Wada’s
- 1 cup urad dal
- ¼ cup moong dal
- 5-6 green chillies
- 1 inch ginger
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- Oil for cooking
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup water for grinding the dal’s
For Dahi Wada Dressing :
- 2-3 cups whisked thick curd/dahi
- 2-3 tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp roasted cumin powder
- Tamrind chutney
- Salt to taste
- 4-5 cups luke warm water
STEP BY STEP METHOD OF PREPARING DAHI WADA RECIPE | DAHI BHALLA
- Wash both the dals properly.
- Soak them separately overnight or for 7-8 hours.
- Once nicely soaked remove the excess water from the dal’s and let the dal’s drain nicely.
- Grind the dal’s separately to a fine paste in a mixer grinder.
- Add little water while grinding if required.
- Add both the grinded Dal’s to a bowl.
- Add grinded paste of green chillies and ginger,salt and baking soda to the bowl.
- Mix everything properly.
- Mix till the batter becomes fluffy.
- To taste wheather the batter is properly done,pour the batter from the spoon.If it doesn’t fall immediately from the spoon then your batter is made perfectly.(for this add less water while grinding the dal’s).
- Also keep luke warm water ready by the side.
- Add ½ tsp of salt to the luke warm water.
- Heat the oil in a pan for frying.
- Wet your hands with water.
- Take a small ball sized portion of batter in your palms.
- Shape it into a round shaped wada.
- Drop these wada’s in hot oil.
- Fry them on medium flame.
- Fry till they turn slight golden brown.
- Once done remove them in a plate.
- Now immediately put this wada’s in the luke warm water.
- Let them soak for 15-20 minutes.
- Press the wada in between your palms and remove excess of water.
- Place them in a plate.
- Now in a mixer grinder add the thick curd/dahi.
- To it add sugar and salt to taste.
- Whisk it once or twice till the curd becomes more smooth.
- Don’t over whisk the curd/dahi.
- Your whisked curd/dahi for pouring is ready.
ASSEMBLING OF DAHI WADA’S | DAHI BHALLA’S
- In a serving plate place the wada’s.
- Pour generous amount of whisked curd/dahi over the wada’s.
- Sprinkle red chilli powder and roasted cumin powder over the wada’s.
- Last pour tamrind chutney over the wada’s.
- Your Dahi wada / Dahi bhalla is ready to eat.